Bali  Indonesia Travel Forum Forum Index

Bali Indonesia Travel Forum
Share your opinions and experiences about Travel to Bali & Beyond

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Bali Shopping Experience

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bali Indonesia Travel Forum Forum Index -> Guides
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ablteam
Master

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: The Bali Shopping Experience Reply with quote

Bali provides some pleasurable experiences for keen shoppers and there is no limit to the availability of goods to choose from. While the department stores and more established shops of Kuta and Denpasar feature fixed prices, it is always enjoyable to patronize market stalls and street vendors to try negotiating for goods at bargain prices. Bartering is a source of social interaction for sellers and it is important to maintain a keen sense of humour throughout the entire process.

Bali has a fun sense of resort fashion that blends vibrant sarongs and tropical prints with crisp linen fabrics and flowing white cottons. Inexpensive clothing is available from market stalls and department stores, while designer labels can also be found in tastefully appointed boutiques around the area of Seminyak. If you can’t find anything to please, talented tailors can reproduce your preferred style of clothing for a perfect fit. Exclusive leather coats, jackets and fashion accessories are easily made up in a matter of days. Larger department stores are a great source for quality children’s clothing, jeans and shoes at affordable prices.

The Balinese are natural artisans and have the ability to turn their hand to any craft. Silversmiths produce a stunning array of traditional and modern jewellery pieces with inlays of semi and precious stones. Quality silver jewellery and trinkets are available at a fraction of the price of what you would be expected to pay in your home country.

The village of Ubud is considered the cultural pulse of Bali and here the streets are literally lined with small art galleries where you can purchase paintings direct from the artist. The nearby village of Mas is renowned for producing wood carvings and sacred objects for the temple such as masks and musical instruments. Heading out of Ubud towards the mountains is a fertile area known as Tegallalang where there are plenty cottage industries turning out quirky handicrafts that can be purchased for next to nothing.

Hand crafted wooden furniture, statues and exquisite homewares are also relatively inexpensive buys and add style to any home or office décor. Likewise, garden settings, traditional lanterns and individual stone carvings will provide interesting points of interest. Original pieces of glasswork, ceramics or local pottery often make unique gifts to take back home.

Visitors to Bali, especially those who enjoy shopping, are advised to travel light and take advantage of all the bargain goods that are on offer. If space appears to be a problem, then it is easy to pick up some extra luggage. Imitation designer-label cabin bags and suitcases are readily available along the streets or the real thing can be purchased at any of Bali’s Department Stores where regular sales can result in some very attractive buys.

Happy shopping!

More on shopping guide click here.
Anabolic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great Smile Smile
evathomas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: The Bali Shopping Experience Reply with quote

Do you enjoy your time in Bali and have it memorized in pictures? Why don't you share them with other fellow travellers? Here, we provide you a place to share. Please note that we only accept stories and pictures related to your experience in Bali. In order to avoid inappropriate content

Last edited by evathomas on Tue May 05, 2009 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
waytolove

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH I love to visit garden, please name me some to visit? Any flowers garden like in Holland?
devis01

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waytolove wrote:
OH I love to visit garden, please name me some to visit? Any flowers garden like in Holland?

I have visited almost all the North American gardens but my favourite garden by far is the Hawaiian Botanical Garden north of Hilo on the Big Island. It is truly amazing!!!

Very Happy
sandry

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bali has a fun sense of resort fashion that blends vibrant sarongs and tropical prints with crisp linen fabrics and flowing white cottons. Inexpensive clothing is available from market stalls and department stores, while designer labels can also be found in tastefully appointed boutiques around the area of Seminyak. If you can’t find anything to please, talented tailors can reproduce your preferred style of clothing for a perfect fit. Exclusive leather coats, jackets and fashion accessories are easily made up in a matter of days. Larger department stores are a great source for quality children’s clothing, jeans and shoes at affordable prices.
MichaelHenry

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am heading towards Bali next month and as I am shopaholic this information will surely be helpful to me. I will try shopping accordingly.
peterstosur

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Bali, Indonesia is going to be more popular day by day. I have seen that many travellers may visit bali for fun and shopping only. There are many places to see and it has almost fabulous shopping experience.
annabelgore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bali is one of the popular place of Indonesia. There are many things and places to visit. For shopping, it would be the ideal place for you. I am also planning to go for shopping after few days.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bali Indonesia Travel Forum Forum Index -> Guides All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: